Question: Every once in awhile when i download a program (zip file usually) it gets downloaded as a notepad file. and when i open it all it shows is a bunch of weird looking stuff. other people download it fine but not me. it has only happend three times so far. also it does not give me the option to extract/decompress the file for installation. whats going on?
Answer: I do not know if this suggestion is what you need since you said it has only happened three times; however, it is worth investigating. Follow these steps:
- Open Windows Explorer (Right Click on "My Computer" and click "Open")
- Click "Tools" and then "Folder Options"
- Click on the "File Types" tab
- Scroll down to the .zip extension and click on it
- Make sure the "Open with" description has a decompression application like WinZip or WinRar listed
- If it does not, click on "Change..."
- Scroll down the list of programs till you see one of the above applications
- Select one of those programs and then put a check mark in the box next to "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"
- Click OK twice
This should lock either WinZip or WinRar as the application to use when you download any decompressed file. If you do not have either, click on the hyperlinks below to download one of them:
Also, Sometimes people upload files to sites that do not accept the .zip extension, only say .jpg or .txt. Therefore people change the .zip extension to say .txt.
After you download this .txt file you would need to rename the extension back to .zip.
Usually there is an explanation of this somewhere.
You could make a copy of the file you have and change the ext. to .zip and see if this is the problem.
This document was generated from the following thread: thread